The month of Setember is usually a very hard month as it comes just after summer holidays. In Barcelona, to make a softer and more pleasant return there are the 2 main festivities:
11th of Setember: Diada de Catalunya (Catalonia Festivity)
24th of Setember: La Merçè (Barcelona’s festivity)
Merçè is the female catalan name that corresponds with the Patron Saint of the city. The festivity is celebrated for over a week and it holds a large number of activities for everyone.
A large number of events are organized for La Merçè Festivity:
- 10km run Solidarity race taking place on Sunday 26th and going through main Barcelona areas.
- Theatre performances, shows with fireworks and giants and heady characters are performed every day along the whole city.
- Museums in Barcelona are free on the 24th of September.
- Castellers (human towers) on the 26th of September at Plaça Sant Jaume.
- Piromusical (fireworks) the 26th at Av. Reina Maria Cristina (Plaça Espanya – Metro map):
- Concerts, as example in 2010, the following performances were celebrated:
- Thrusday 23rd: Belle and Sebastian, Loquillo, Quimi Portet, La Pegatina, Groove Juice, Obrint Pas i Balkatalan Experience, Suckafish P. Jones, …
- Friday 24th: Goldfrapp, San Leon, Crystal Fighters, La Unión i El sueño de Morfeo, las Flores Azules, Black Baudelaire …
- Saturday 25th: Gespa, Susan’s Red Nipples i Toundra, Maika Makovski, I Blame Coco, Ash i Vinila Von Bismark & The Lucky Dados, Fundación Tony Manero